Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Monday, December 25, 2006

Chinese orgasms!

Jane of seejanemom blog brought up an important point about national orgasm day. She said the reverberations from China on that day would cause earthquakes across continents. On top of being extremely funny, that statement reminded me of something my dad once said.

I grew up around many Chinese in my neighborhood. My best friend was a Chinese-American girl whose parents were from Hong Kong. They owned a dry cleaners. I spent a lot of time at the apartment over the cleaners. My friends parents were always yelling at each other. Her mom sounded like 2 cats in a small sack. I gleaned the impression that my friend's parents despised each other. My friend agreed that this was true. They had not slept together in years.

In any case, the way they treated each other, and their children, and my experiences with our other Chinese neighbors, made me think there was a lack of affection amongst married, Chinese couples. Now I realize that my friend's parents were in an arranged marriage and also had to work together all day, every day, probably not good for any marriage. Also, I have come to learn that the Chinese are not demonstratve in public.

Back then their behavior was shocking to me. While on a drive with my father one day, I made the remark that I did not think that Chinese people loved each other. My dad snorted and said, "Well of course they love each other, you idiot! If they didn't, there wouldn't be so Goddamn many of them!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home