Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Immigrants with educational values

When I walked into my corner liquor store last week, the daughter of the owners saw me and asked excitedly if I would like to see her High School diploma. I said "Sure" and she took it from behind the counter and proudly opened and let me see it.

So I told her how great it was and that she had done very well and her parents had done a great job raising her. I noticed from the diploma she had gone to a local Catholic school. Mind you, she is a practicing Hindu. I told her mom that she was right to send her to Catholic school because the level of difficulty is much higher than in public school. She said that her daughter had told her the same thing whenever they grumbled about the cost of private school. The daughter told them that she would get good grades in public school but they would be meaningless as she would really not learn much.

She is also a pianist and won a scholarship to a college in Pennsylvania, because of her playing. Her parents are working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and even more because you have to count the time they spend shopping for stock for the store. They have devoted themselves to raising their daughter and it has paid off 100%.

3 Comments:

At 1:50 PM , Blogger ricpic said...

I'm sure they're great people but that doesn't change the fact that when a nation imports huge numbers of people who are radically different than the native population - racially and culturally - you end up with a collection of populations, not a people. Depends on how much that bothers you. Some folks it doesn't bother at all. Others a little. Then there are those it bothers a lot. Me, for instance. Depends.

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Well the Brits had a hand in the educational system of India and they do share a lot of our values and even excede our values in many cases. These 2 people from India were far better parents than mine. The daughter is an American and pretty and smart and I am glad she's here in my country.

 
At 1:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless 'em! Or should I say Vishnu bless 'em? Shiva? Brahman? Whatever. So long as they came here legally, are productive citizens, and don't teach their children that it's okay to murder infidels, then I'm happy that they're here.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home