Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Monday, June 23, 2008

We are strong like ox!

Years ago, right-wing co-worker took us to a Burmese restaurant he and his girlfriend really liked. He ordered, for us, soup made with coconut milk.

As the waitress lifted the lid of the soup tureen I saw a cockroach, sans life, curled atop the thick soup. I pointed it out to the waitress and she used the ladle to deftly scoop out the offending insect, whiped it on a napkin, then proceeded to use the same ladle to fill our small bowls with cockroach flavored soup, which we all ate without further ado.

I remembered this the other day and mentioned it to co-worker. "That was good soup," he said.

"It was, I agreed, and we lived to tell the tale."

9 Comments:

At 5:32 PM , Blogger staghounds said...

Did the waitress say "Keep quiet about this! Or all customer want one!"

 
At 6:25 PM , Blogger ricpic said...

There is so much to learn from other cultures.

Non-western standards of sanitation, for instance.

 
At 12:18 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Ric, if I remember correctly it was a German cockroach. A German-American cockroach.

 
At 8:27 PM , Blogger Beelzabubba said...

It was also wearing mexican gang colors, but we knew it was just a wanna'be because it wasn't carrying a knife.

 
At 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are strong like ox if you still ate the soup!!

I once made a veggie soup and threw in some kale that I thought I washed properly. I later realized that it had plenty of aphids that didn't rinse off. I also ate one bowl, but it turned my stomach and I threw out the rest of the pot!

But cockroach soup? Not one spoonful!

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Beelzabubba said...

Oh, I think you would have if you knew how good that soup was!!!
Besides, we didn't eat the cockroach, it was curled up, dead on top of the soup. It had probably died in the lid, and fell on top of the soup after the lid was put on.
No harm, not too foul!

 
At 11:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me, B.B. I wouldn't have been able to eat that soup. I am not strong like an ox in that sense!

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Aphids are green and tasty looking. Ants herd and milk them. hey are probably safe to eat.

 
At 9:36 PM , Blogger Beelzabubba said...

Aphids look "minty" I wonder if their milk is minty as well. Hmmmm...,

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home