Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Friday, October 16, 2009

The old plantation

We used to have a union Rep who hated white and Asian people.

Miss C happens to have the same (French) last name as one of our more important city officials, who is a Black woman. Once Miss C mentioned to her union rep, who was also her supervisor at the time, that she and the highly paid professional lady shared the name.

"Probably came from the same plantation," union rep said.

Union rep recently died. His memorial is next Friday. Miss C, along with many other people, mostly whites and Asians, shall not be attending the memorial, but she will be celebrating.

2 Comments:

At 12:24 PM , Blogger staghounds said...

A couple of years ago I went to the health department for a 'flu shot.

I have a rather unusual (six of it in the NYC telephone book) last name, which is also a good English word. And all my ancestors were blue eyed devils from the frozen caves of Europe.

The clerk called my name, and I went to get the shot. As I came out, a tiny and quite old Black lady looked at me and said, "Is yo' name X?"

"Yes, Ma'am, it is."

"Well, I'll be. My name X, too!"

So we sat down and had that conversation. Turns out that we are both from other places, she a Katrina reffo. It seems there is a big family of Xs in her Parish there. We discussed how rare our name is, and whether we might be related. Could be, you never know.

All this was very interesting to the (entirely Black) other health department waiters, since given her deafness they didn't miss a word.

So of course I couldn't resist, as I left I said "Well, when you go home you know what you can tell them, don't you?"

"No, What?"

"That ou met the White sheep of the family!"

It was great fun, actually. The world is round, and we're all on it.

 
At 3:57 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

That is funny!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home