Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

White Guilt, by Shelby Steele

Shelby Steele's book awoke strong feelings in me. Forgive this rant, it is a heartfelt one, very close to my heart and involves people I love and care about deeply. I read Shelby Steele's book, White Guilt in one night. Mr Steele reiterates what I feel is wrong with Blacks and the white liberals trying to help Blacks out of their very dire straights. I do believe that liberals mean well by Blacks. I think that they really think that they know how to help Blacks and that they often think that you have to ask Blacks how best to help them. I disagree with this idea as the Blacks I know do not have any idea or do not have the will to do the right thing. I believe that only Black religious leaders know how best to go about lifting their people up from the poverty, addiction, fatherlessness, Welfare dependency and criminality that so plague much of Black America.

The problem is that the liberals have been helping Blacks out of the hell that is much of their existance for the last 40 years and they have only driven them deeper into it. I grew up In Oakland and have seen the downward spiral firsthand. I can tell you exactly how it happened and chronical the devastation for you, year by year. I can tell you what will work and what won't. I can tell you that any white that thinks that racism is the major problem for Black America is dead wrong. I can also tell you that white liberals are in denial that their policies are hopeless. They will keep banging their heads against the wall and nothing will change.

I have always felt that since I grew up in the ghetto and have Black friends whom I love and worry about, I am in a position to tell other people who are really unaware of what pernicious problems the average inner city Black person is dealing with. As an insider/outsider I can be more objective than the Blacks themselves. I can tell you what really is going on in the lives of Black people. I repeat, there are no stereotypes that are not stereotypically true. Many, many Blacks are dealing with levels of addiction and criminality that the average white can not imagine. The average Black person I know has multiple relatives and friends with serious criminal backgrounds. You would not know it to look at these people. I know Blacks that tell me of horrifc crimes that their relatives have admitted perpetrating, assaults, rapes, murders. I know of Blacks that beat their children to a pulp. Blacks who give much of their money to boyfriends that have many women and are just using women for sex and money. Men that do not in any way support their multiple children. Incest and sex with very young girls is common. I know women that have relationships with Black men that are so abusive that they should never be let out of jail. Animal abuse abounds, child rape abounds. These things are so entrenched that they are normal for many Black families. My friends will think nothing of knocking children out and letting them lie in place for hours. Again, this is average for Blacks in the inner city.

Blacks are in hell and the white liberals are telling them it's because white people are racist. It is not racism at all, it is a lack of human capital and immoral cultural values that is causing Blacks to spiral into darkness. Blacks are never held reponsible for their actions. Never, ever. For white liberals there is always an excuse for why the Black man is engaged in horrific self destructive behavior in his own home and neighborhood. Huge numbers of Black children have never known anything but abuse at the hands of Black men and yet the blame for the brutal behavior of these Black men is laid on the white man. I hear stories regularly of groups of Blacks that attack and brutally beat police officers having police picnics in Oakland parks. I see violent attacks and have personally seen shootings and my sister was a witness to an assassination of a drug dealer. I am also privy to things they don't tell you on the news. Liberals decry police brutality while they ignore the constant brutality perpetrated by Blacks against Blacks and Blacks against other races.

White liberals' methods for helping Blacks have been lethal. They have given Blacks mortal wounds from which they may never recover. They have undermined the work that educated and cultured Blacks did on behalf of their people in the early half of the last century. They have undermined the education systems and instituted low standards for Black achievment and been content when the Blacks have not even met the lowered standards because the Liberals are so invested in pitying people and making sure that no one ever has to have a bad feeling about themselves that the Blacks make it through school as ignorant as they would have been without 12 years of schooling.

Shelby Steele says "that Bush's "bigotry of low expectations" statement was the first and most far reaching enunciation of American social policy since Lyndon Johnson's Howard University speech. It offered a new direction for social reform and, especially, a new theory: dissociation from the racist past through principle and individual responsibility rather than at the expense of these things. Bush is the first president to openly cmpete with the left in the area of ideas around poverty, education, and race. Shelby Steele says that Liberals failed the country out of a self congratulating moral elitism, that they refused to enforce demanding principles or to ask for more responsibility from those they claimed to feel compassion for, and that they flattered themselves with a progressivism of mere moral relativism even as the culture declined all around them."

No one likes to know that they are wrong and the left has been so wrong, and in such a horrifically damaging way, that they are totally invested in hanging on to their ideology. The left has always engaged in losing battles, they are the party of losers and they would make everyone in their own image, which is weak and unhealthy. They have infected Blacks with their disease and they will continue to do so as long as they control the educational, mental health and social service agencies in the US. As long as they are governors and mayors and city council members and school superintendants. Until the stranglehold the liberals have on the government systems is broken, Blacks can expect more misery and poverty.

7 Comments:

At 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response, I decided to check out your blog, and found further reason for my disagreement. You seem to be confused about what the tenets of liberalism are. Furthermore, your discussion lacks any evidence or support outside of your own opinion. I think you might want to reckon with the fact that, on many measures, the situation for African Americans, educationally, financially, and politically, has gotten worse in the five years of conservative control of Congress and the White House. As a student of African and African American Studies at Harvard, as well as a resident of Newark, I find your cultural explanation for the problems of Black America callous and uninformed. I would recommend expanding your reading list beyond Shelby Steele, (William Julius Wilson would be a good start), in order to get a larger perspective on why Black people are having such a hard time in America. I would say that I look forward to future conversations with you, but the narrowness of your thinking displayed so far leave us little to discuss.

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Saying that the Whitehouse is responsible for individual behavior and inner city school districts and government is silly. Wiiliam Julius Wilson is a great thinker but has not really done anything to help his people. He is also not that liberal, Sheldon. As for the tenents of liberalism, the liberals in power in this country and especially in the inner cities hardly follow those tenents. They are only interested in preserving the status quo and throwing wrenches in reform. Even if the liberals methods have proven unhelpful or worse, the liberals will not give them up or re-evaluate them. I am hardly uninformed, nor ignorant. If I called you ignorant, that would be unacceptable, do you see? It is not right for you to call me such a thing, either and if I were ignorant, it would only be do to the shitty education I received at the hands of the liberal school teachers in the inner city! I see the situation of Blacks every day of my life and have close Black friends whom I love very much. I am in no way ignorant. No one likes to think that they are responsible for their own problems and too long many Blacks in the inner city have blamed everyone but themselves for their problems, Sheldon. I also have seen what a mind trip Black studies can play on intelligent Black men like you Sheldon. Being brainwashed and steeped in the injustices of the past can really make you think that you are under attack in the present. Also you have been brainwashed into the orthodox thinking that your professors are engaged in. Why don't you click on my link in the sidebar to Gerry Charlotte Phelp's website and you will see the methods that I think will actually work to help those in poverty and exactly what we are dealing with. I think that like all liberal intellectuals, Sheldon you project your thinking onto others and maybe think that every one would think as you do. Unfortunately, most people on this earth are not as bright as you, Black, white, or otherwise. As I said on LaShawn's blog, you can use all the catch phrases you like against me. Racist, narrow minded bigot. I don't care. The truth is, I care deeply about Black people. I have a love hate relationship with my city of birth, Oakland, because I hate what is has become and I directly blame the liberal establishment for making it the hell hole it is and letting Blacks down in every way. I too look forward to sparring with you and hopefully even agreeing with you from time to time. I do belive that you care about and are trying to help your people. Please believe that I do as well, just in a different way than you.

 
At 9:53 PM , Blogger John Doe said...

Argumentum ad verecundiam: “As a student of African and African American Studies at Harvard”. Roll out the red carpet, my friends. Utch!

 
At 12:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The adjective "ignorant" is defined as "showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge." For example, when you write that William Julius Wilson has not done anything to help "his" people, it expresses an ignorance of the many philanthropic and policy oriented ventures he has selflessly given his time and energies for (Which have helped far more than "his people" I might add). Or, when you refer to "my people" as though you and I don't share the same nationality or citizenship. (which is possible but not probable). Believe it or not, the different levels of government are not completely separate, and I can cite for you many examples of how the white house sets a policy agenda for congress, who drafts bills, sets up bureaucratic organizations, and works with state governments to implement the policies, which many times do not have the intended effects (No Child Left behind is the most readily available example I can think of). Finally, on your ignorant comments regarding my education backgrounds, I would like to clarify a few things. First, I am a Ph.D. student and National Science Foundation Fellow in the Department of African and African American studies with a specialty in urban demography. I don't know what you think Black studies is, but I can assure you that there is no brainwashing involved. (If there is, it hasn't taken its effect on me yet.) I double majored in political science and sociology, with some applied math training at a public university, so if I was brainwashed, it was a long time ago and it was with numbers, not words. Secondly, you can rest assured that I have no desire to label your views. I do find it odd that you contextualize your comments with professions of love for black people. (It almost feels as though you think by loving black people, you are somehow allowed to speak harshly about them). Yet, it has always been my understanding that when you care about something, such as the political, social and economic challenges facing large amounts of Americans, you don't speak about it carelessly. Thoreau once wrote, "There is no odor so bad as that which arises from goodness tainted". I hope you be able to read your next correspondence without holding my nose.

 
At 9:19 AM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Sheldon you have become mentally ill, like Cynthia McKinney and a lot of other blacks, from your hatred of the white man. You are blind to your own faults and only too eager to put the blame, for many Black peoples' failures, onto others. In fact, you are no different than the guys on the bus who like to abuse whites. Or the pimps that beat white women, you just do it verbally. Out of a deep inferiority complex, you are bashing me. If you weren't feeling inferior, you wouldn't have to state your educational credentials. Many educated people are idiots and only believe what they read in texts assigned by left wing professors with an agenda.

I answered your comment in a polite manner, but as many Blacks have a problem with hostility, I should have realized that you might as well. As for lovng Blacks, I do and that is why I believe in tough love Sheldon and that is why you can't handle the truth about the empty ideology of self pity that you and many who claim to want to help Blacks, are engaging it to the detriment of Blacks and the whole country. One Black Muslim mosque can effect more change on Blacks than years of Welfare and government programs like headstart. Black Muslims preach and practice conservative values, self respect and self sufficiency. You can feel sorry for the underclass if you want Sheldon and I know that you do. I am surrounded by over educated liberals like you who are waiting for the white establishment to wake up and stop being racist. Hah. Keep hope alive Sheldon, but it is never going to happen. The Chinese Americans didn't wait for it or expect it, they just began to help themselves. I will tell you another thing I work in place where a lot of Blacks show up and claim to have advanced degrees or to be students of major universities and later turn out to be frauds. This is another form of mental illness that seem to particularly affect Blacks as many bright people are disheartened and ashamed of their lack of academic success. How do I know that you are not just another of these posers? Think on this Sheldon, you have the blood of the slave owner in your veins. No one in my familiy owned slaves, but people in your family did. You can't discount the blood of the oppressors that flows through you. So, when you are casting blame, throw some your own way!

 
At 6:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warm greetings,
I see that your responses are devolving into personal attacks and declarations with no basis in fact. I shared personal background with you not to intimidate you, but rather to introduce myself as someone very interested and dedicated to the study of the African American experience in American society. I foolishly thought that this would encourage you to share about yourself in order to create a civil basis for discourse, but I have obviously been mistaken.
You make three claims that I will do you the courtesy of addressing in turn. Your comparison of me and pimps or any other abusive black you have had the misfortune of making acquaintances with is a sad statement of your own insecurities. I hope that you grow up enough one day to know that being called on your ignorance is a reality in a world of people who are more than consumers of knowledge, but creators of it. Furthermore, after careful review of my comments, I would like to point out that I have addressed myself to your ideas, many of which you have not supported in any reasonable or convincing way.
Secondly, you point to Black muslims as a model for learning how to avoid self pity. I find it odd that you believe I support or endorse victimization, given that I have never mentioned the issue once. (Could it be that you have deep seated stereotypes of what someone like me might say or think that are guiding your actions?). You also sight Chinese Americans as a model minority, which completely ignores context. I would be happy to explain how immigration patterns, American economic development, and residential patterns, in addition to different types of social capital possessed by the immigrants made them more economically successful. Yet, I hate trying to explain things to people who think they already know. You seem content in your own ignorance and I have better things to do than try to bring you into a fuller understanding of the things you seem so willing to pontificate on.
Finally, you noted that I have the blood of the "slaveowner" in my veins. I am astounded by your diagnostic skills. Not only can you diagnose my mental state, but you can also discover what myself and other biological geneologist took about 6 mo. to find. If you are interested, I can even tell you what parts of the world my ancestors most likely came from. But somehow, I think you meant that to be somehow insulting, or at least damaging to my correspondence and points. I am very glad that you were able to go back far enough in your geneology to rid yourself of the immense guilt of implication with slavery. I hope you appreciate being able to look back in birth records to find evidence of your past, rather than planter property inventories. I hope you appreciate the fact that last names allow you to be somewhat sure of your ancestral lines. And finally, I hope that you can understand that the only blame I am casting is on you for woeful ignorance, indicative of many white people who think they can speak callously and carelessly about what African Americans need because they met a few, or live in a black town, or read Shelby Steele. Please spare "my people" your help and love and spend some time making yourself a more stylish and well-informed writer.

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Obviously your people can't help themselves. That is eveident in your voting records. Even if someone in my family had owned slaves just as your family members did, I would not feel guilty, as I personally have done nothing to feel guilty about. You have no personal power and your imagined power is gained by making others feel guilty for things they have not done. As for your mental state, your insane rants are a testimony to it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home