Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Donating to needy families for the holidays

This summer I dated a guy I met at my neighbor's barbeque party. While walking to a movie theater in Berkeley, we were constantly hit up for money by bums. So we talked about giving to the poor. Every year I go to the post office and pick out a child's letter to Santa and try to give the child something he/she asks for. Last year I picked a teen girl, who wanted a Gap or Footlocker gift card and "some pies."

This year I think I will give gift cards to people I know, Jamel's mom, for instance and a girl I work with, who is a foster mom to her nephew.

Anyway, I was talking to this guy I dated and he told me that his corporation sponsers a poor family every year. They take them food and presents. The year before last, they went to the family's house to bring them a Merry Christmas. He said that when they got there, they were shocked to see that the family consisted of hugely obese people. Afterwards they began to discuss amongst themselves the fact that the family could really not be considered poor if they ate that much. So they decided not to sponsor them the following year.

They picked another family, but the obese family showed up at the company headquarters, demanding to know when they would be receiving their goodies!

4 Comments:

At 12:18 PM , Blogger anita said...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/
5576/obesity_and_poverty_the_poorest_of.html

You make it seem as if these poor people are living large on steaks and lobster, when, in fact, poverty and obesity often go hand-in-hand. The reason being that poor people will buy foods that are inexpensive, but extremely low in nutritional content:

"What these studies found were that the head of the households buy high calorie, high carbohydrate and high fat foods, with high density, when they have a limited amount of money each month. These kinds of foods, such as, hamburgers, doughnuts, pizza, salty snacks have the most dietary energy at the lowest costs and, at the same time, have the highest level of satiety and taste. In short, they taste good and make people feel full. However, they have the lowest nutritional value and the highest calories. In fact these obese people are overweight but under nourished."

 
At 12:27 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Oh please Anita, don't even go there. People that are too lazy to walk a bit further to a real supermarket, and are content to eat chips and beef jerky, cuz they don't have to get off their asses to cook them are not deserving of our pity. Real food costs less. The Chinses here in Chinatown manage just fine. Of course the kids kids of the lazy scum are not to blame, as they did not choose their pathetic ass genetically deficient parents of low cognitive ability. But nits make lice! I grew up in the ghetto, and I don't need your elistist liberal ass to tell me about the people I live amongst. Go away, unless you have something intelligent and informed to say.

 
At 2:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There weren't any fat people in the German concentration camps.

 
At 3:13 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Sorry about that ranty post and my atrocious spelling. I am sure Miss 'Nita will call me on it. Liberals love to insult the messenger instead of the message. Jack, no, the potatoes and gruel in Belsen didn't make the Jews fat. I guess if you limit your intake of carbs you see good results. Not to mention getting out there and doing an honest day's labor, making pots for Schindler and stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home