Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Thursday, December 08, 2005

A guy asked me for money for a slice of pizza tonight

I was standing at the bus stop. I see this youngish Black guy working a few people. I had ignored a woman saying, "Scuse me, scuse me", as I walked across the street. So, anyway, I see this guy and everybody is shooting him down. So he gets up to the bus stop and he says to the woman sitting on the bench "I'm not trying to be funny with you, I'm trying to get a slice of pizza." So she just waves her bus money at him and says "I only have my bus money." He comes over to me and he looks at me and asks for some money for something to eat. I look at his face and I don't often give money to people on the street, but I just felt like it tonight. I give money to the really mentally ill people that I see regularly, but not to most of the people I think are capable of working. I have however been hungry. My mom and I were on welfare when I was a kid and she didn't always manage the budget well and sometimes we did not have enough money for food just before we would get our checks. We didn't have a phone or electricity a lot of the time and were always getting eviction notices. Fortunately our landlady would give my mom a break and never really kicked us out for paying the rent late.We went hungry a lot and we would be looking in the couch cushions for change and rolling pennies to try and get a hot dog. Usually it was me that got the hot dog while my mom went hungry. I also ate at my friend's houses a lot. I am not excusing the fact that my mom should have been working and as soon as she got a job, things got better for us. My mom had some mental and drug problems that made it hard for her to work all the time. Well, anyway, I know what it's like to beg and to be hungry, so I guess I was just in the mood to empathize. So, I gave the guy $5.00. He had started to walk away and I said "Wait, I'm going to give you something." So he turned back and took the money, looked at it real hard and started to stammer "Thank you, thank you very much." "Merry Christmas to you." Maybe he spent it on liquor. Maybe he just got hisself a big ol' slice of pizza.

1 Comments:

At 7:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give a man a slice of pizza and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man how to make his own pizza and he'll eat pizza for his whole lifetime, which will be very short because he'll probably die of congestive heart failure.

So that five bucks you have him probably saved his life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home