Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Why should Americans be insulated from death and dismemberment?

Just before George Bush decided to go to war in Iraq, my friend from Estonia told me that she thought that the American soldiers were too spoiled, soft and weak to go to a rough country and fight a war. She said that Americans are used to the easy life and that most of the American soldiers don't have an understanding of hardship and suffering. I had to agree with her. I feel that Americans need to have the experience of suffering, so that they can have a greater understanding of the world. I also have maintained for a long time that our military needs practice in the art of war. Simulated war is just not good enough. If we want to stay on top we need real world experience, not just video games. You can't maintain a great military if you never engage in real battle. As for Americans dying and receiving horrific wounds, I am sorry for it, but it is the regular state of affairs over much of the world. Why should Americans be immune from it. We too, have to understand sacrifice and pain. It's part of the human condition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home