Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Poor Americans used to cook their own food from scratch.

In regards to an article written after a study on the poor's eating habits, referred to by Liberal commenter, Anita, claiming that the poor ate burgers and fries because it is cheaper and oh so filling, Miss C calls bullshit on the study. Often white Liberal ladies who are well educated go into poor, and especially minority households and are just so astonished at the habits of the underclass they can only see them as some kind of aliens living an an entirely different world. Somehow, even though the poor are living in the same universe and privvy to the same news and information, they are somehow exempt from having to feed their children properly.

This is wrong! Miss C grew up on welfare. In the old days, we did not get welfare credit cards which could be used at burger King and Taco Bell. We got food stamps. The food stamps were good for groceries. Poor people cooked real food. Often I would hang out at my friend's houses hoping to get an invitation to dinner. My friend's mom would regularly cook really incredible enchiladas. I lived a block from the supermarket and when I saw my friend's mom walk past me I knew she was going to cook something good, I would walk up the hill and hang out til dinner time. My other friend, whose mother was from Heber Springs Arkansas, was a very good cook, indeed. She made a killer chicken fried steak and summer squash. She was also on welfare.

As for me and my mom, we made everything from scratch. We made spaghetti and chili and Cornish pasties and Swiss steak. We made bread from scratch, even croissants. Except when we made Bisquick, which is why I will not eat it to this day. Coffee cakes, pancakes, biscuits, all with that peculiar Bisquick taste.

The poor were actually much less likely to eat out than those of a higher income. My co-worker and I agreed that to even eat at a McDonald's was considered a big, big treat. I would go with my friend to a place called Giant Burger's and sit with her. She would order a burger and the cooks would ask me if I was going to order anything and I would say, "No." after a while they would put a big plate of fries in front of me. I didn't do that too often though. I didn't want to push my luck.

The problem, as I see it, is now there really is no excuse for being on welfare. Those that do not take advantage of a free education and plentiful job opportunities are most likely of low cognitive ability or just plain lazy, shiftless and no account. many of them just are not able to make intelligent life choices. People that fit those discriptions probably aren't going to get off their asses and cook much, when they'd rather just sit in front of the tube all day eating chips. So why waste money on studying them?

I am very tired of people who make it their business to "study" the habits of the poor. The soldiers in the war on poverty are wasting our money. We pretty much know what habits make people likely to be poor and stay poor. Why don't they study the habits of rich and successful people? They have habits that might actually be useful to the rest of society.

5 Comments:

At 8:32 AM , Blogger seejanemom said...

You know, this is one of my biggest peeves. We were not on public assistance when I was a child, but I was surrounded by those who were. (Vietnam war widows, mostly.)

I have never fed my family anything but food I watched my frugal grandmother cook. A CROCK POT can turn a 63 cent bag of black beans into a feast for four for two meals.

There is a program here in Virginia where there are actual cooking classes for those on food stamps. I have actually applied to TEACH these classes as a way to HELP ACTUALLY SOLVE the problem. (No call back yet)Some of the FINEST "GOURMET" food splashed all over foodtv is born of POVERTY. It is not lack of money---it is lack of initiative and accountability.

I CHOOSE to feed my family healthy and WHOLE foods. My kids Ped. says they are some of the few children she sees that are almost UNDERWEIGHT. I refuse to believ that poor = underfed.

 
At 10:06 AM , Blogger gary said...

Most rich people and most poor people have one thing in common. They were born that way.Note that I said most not all.

 
At 1:04 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Zontar doesn't actually know any poor people, he's just guessing! Industrious people don't stay poor, Zontar, they get off their asses unless discouraged from doing so by white liberal fools!

 
At 6:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother used to always cook. On rare occasions we would go to the only cafeteria in town on Sunday after church.

Then when my mother started working as a nurse she would give me money to eat out. That's when it all started ... the drugs ... alkeyhal ... free sex. But then it could have been something to do with being 14, jimi and living in the 60's. Who knows!

 
At 9:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zontar as usual you prattle on yet you say nothing of substance.
The liberal mind is a terrible thing to be exposed to.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home