Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Our litigious society alleviates the need for personal responsibility

My co-worker's elderly mother was run over by an Alameda County Transit bus driver, who ran a red light. She lost a leg. After the accident she was given a settlement, the amount of which she was unable to disclose. My co-worker was amazed that the driver of the bus, a woman, never called or came to see her mother during her long stay in the hospital. She never even sent a card.

Most of us would feel terrible about running over an old lady, much less causing an injury that resulted in the loss of a leg. I know for a fact that I would have apologised to the woman, face to face, if her family had allowed me to. I would have sent cards and flowers til the cows came home.

The problem is this, no one is allowed to admit guilt any more. Their lawyers would advise against it. If the driver had gone to the hospital to apologise, that would have been an admission of guilt. I am sure the lawyers for the Transit authority cautioned the driver not to admit guilt for fear the incident would go to trial. So the truth, morality and plain common decency were subverted.

3 Comments:

At 8:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got stabbed in a bar once, and everyone was aghast that I didnt sue them. MY point was I shouldnt have got in a a fight. Maybe my perspective was different cuz I won, but I dont think so. Fraudulent litigation is reckless.

 
At 11:33 AM , Blogger -bRad said...

The other problem is that for years the courts have been teaching us that we are not responsible for our own actions. It's cyclic process that is way out of control.

 
At 2:46 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Yes because the people with the money get blamed. You don't get blamed for smoking it's the tobacco companies' faults. As for getting stabbed Donkey I bet you deserved it! You souldn't scare people!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home