Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hoo-hoo-hoo hoo hoo!

Friday night about 11:30, I was doing a crossword in bed and I heard "hoo-hoo-hoo, hooo hooo!" I was thinking, "What the hell ?? That sounds like an owl." (remember, I have not always lived in the city) I heard it louder, "hoo-hoo-hoo, hooo hooo!" I stood up on my bed and put my ear to the window and listened to see if it was my neighbor's TV. It was not! I thought to myself, there is a Great Horned owl outside and it's here to eat the neighbor's lil' runty ass cats, both of whom are left out at night. I ran outside and looked around and listened and traced the hoot owl to the redwood tree in my neighbor's apartment yard. I yelled at it and jumped around like a maniac and it flapped off, as big as you please.

On Monday, when I got to work, I told my co-workers about it and they were skeptical of the idea that an owl would attack cats. Hell, I was a bit skeptical myself, but instinct made me act like a mother hen. I googled the Great Horned owl and yes indeedy they do dine, feast upon and greatly enjoy cats as a regular food source. I had me a suspicion, as the Barn owls we had in Maryland were rumored to eat cats when they had the opportunity. Upon reflection, my city owl was more likely looking for chicks of his own species. If he had been hunting he probably would have kept quiet..

Click on the link above, scroll down and listen to the "typical male" call and you will hear exactly what I heard.

4 Comments:

At 11:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure it wasnt a female owl and was calling out...

"Hue-Hue-Hue"

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Well, iffin it wasn't it oughta be!

 
At 7:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did the owl go, "hoo-hoo-hoo, hooo hooo!", because owls cannot say, "here kitty, kitty, kitty."

 
At 12:40 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

That owl must be Cajun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home