Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Lilja 4-ever

This is a movie about the eastern European sex slave trade. I saw it last year and it pretty much told the same story as the Frontline program I described in my previous post. It's a beautiful movie, incredibly well acted, staring the little Russian girl from The Bourne Ultimatum, Oksana Akinshina. It is the single most depressing movie I have ever seen, but it tells an important story about what is happening to girls in the former Soviet countries. It also highlights the grinding poverty and social disintegration in the eastern bloc.

5 Comments:

At 7:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one sounds like a real gut rencher, but I want to see it.

 
At 7:17 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Fred,
There is no hope in this movie, be warned.

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Hey Fred, pool pockets are cool, too bad I don't have a pool!

 
At 7:31 PM , Blogger BHCh said...

Don't agree with your final statement. Last couple of years Russia has been doing rather well economically, mainly thanks to the oil income.

It varies depending on location, but but most people are not at all poor.

As for Eastern block, countries like Poland and Czech Republic are doing very well, thank you.

 
At 7:42 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Ah Shlemazl, I have Estonian friends, that tell me differently. They had to leave Estonia to work in Sweden. Girls from the Ukkraine and Moldova are desperate for jobs. Some Russians are doing well, the prosperity has left others behind. Watch Lilja!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home