Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Obama has charisma, Hillary does not

We work with a woman who has charisma. Every person who comes here to work is drawn towards her. She makes lasting friends out of even the most temporary workers, who will go out of their way to visit her, even after they have moved on to other jobs.

On the street, when she takes her cigarette breaks, people who work for the State and the County will desperately seek her company. If she's late for her break, they will call and ask forlornly, why she is late.

All day, custodians and security guards will file in to her cubicle to chat with her. When a new employee is hired, it does not take them long to gravitate to her.

She draws both men and women. If I had a business she is the first person I would hire and I would pay her very well because she would bring in customers.

Men fall in love with her on a regular basis. She is in her late 50's and plump, but she still has stalkers. One guy comes to see her every payday and stares at her lovingly while muttering, "You put a spell on me." Other men have been fired because they were in love with her and made trouble for her. They just could not help themselves.

You can't bottle this stuff. You have to be born with it. I did not like Will Smith's portrayal of Muhammed Ali, because Will does not have much charisma. Someone with a little charisma can't play someone with intense charisma.

Bill Clinton has it. Hillary doesn't. Obama's fans love him in a way that is totally out of proportion to his real value as a human being. There is nothing anyone can do about it, it's just the way it is.

4 Comments:

At 10:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pierre Trudeau was known for his charisma too, but that didn't stop some people from hating him and his politics. Same will happen to Obama if, g-d forbid, he is elected.

 
At 12:36 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

He will not be able to please his constituants, ever. he preaches self reliance a little too much for the left to be happy with him for long.

 
At 6:27 PM , Blogger staghounds said...

A lot of Sen. Obama's "charisma" is perceived by people who already like what they see as his message and meaning- there's an Obama-shaped hole in them already.

He'll always please his believers- because their faith is more important to them than reality.

Genuine charisma, like your friend's, speaks even to those who aren't looking for it.

I once heard an interesting tale about Pres. Clinton. The speaker was a woman I know of strongly conservative beliefs and high level partisan Republican position. She was talking about being at a party in DC where he was, and he came over and spoke to her for a few minutes. (She's very attractive and dresses brilliantly, but she also is very confident in fact and affect so I'm sure he was repelled by that.) She said,

"I hate that bastard trash and everything he ever did or stood for. If he told me rain was wet I'd go stand in it to check.

But if he'd offered to take me into the coat closet, I might have said yes. I'm still trying to undisgust myself."

 
At 8:38 PM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Staggy I totally understand what your friend is saying. My heart melts a little when I see Bill speaking. Of course I am a sucker for a southern accent anyway.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home