Carnivorousness

If you come in my cage I'll eat you too!

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Sweden proposes setting gender quotas in the performing arts

According to the article above they want the artists and staff of theatre groups to be composed of at least 40% of each gender. 40 + 40 = 80%. What do they propose the other 20% consist of? Animals? So, if they go under 40% men, but they need a lead for a female role, in a new play, would they have to hire a guy instead? How about if the ratio is 60% men to 40% women, won't the women be angry still? Why not just hire the best people for the job in the genders needed to put on current performances.

5 Comments:

At 10:48 AM , Blogger -bRad said...

maybe the other 20% can be trans-gender, or "in flux" as they go through the process of becoming trans-gender.

 
At 11:40 PM , Blogger N. said...

I wonder if, say, 100 years from now, IKEA will be the only thing left of Sweden. Same for some other Euro countries. They will have long since committed cultural suicide, and brand name products and retailers will be all that remains.

 
At 7:42 AM , Anonymous RaLph said...

It means that no single gender can exceed 60% which would make it impossible to achieve for a 3 person play. Forget being a solo performer.

Don't mind me; I had an F+ average for math in high school and a D- in English, literature and writing.

Even though every country has its equivalent for every special interest imaginable, the "Committee for Equality in the Dramatic Arts" sounds like an organization from an Ayn Rand novel.

 
At 10:22 AM , Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Ralph in Oakland a D- would be the same as an A- and F+ is a B+.

 
At 11:38 AM , Anonymous RaLph said...

It's ok. I got to spend 8 years in college.

I’d never pass a test from any of todays school systems. Not that I passed many in yesterdays.

RaLph

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home